Wednesday, December 8, 2010

White and Black

" Yeah girl, Nah, that's what I did I went right down there and told them I was homeless. Girl please they don't know, yeah you gotta do what you gotta do, that's how I got my bus pass and my furniture.  Nah for real you gotta do it ."  Ok it is real out here.  This is the conversation of the lady next to me.  Wow!

We never know what someone is going through.  Not only someone, but based on the voice I heard I assumed I was listening to a black woman.  No honey, she is white.  Baltimore has such an extremely vast population of poor whites.  Yes, you do not see this in NYC, but that's why I used to tell my friends up there to not be impressed with white people or what you think their lives are like because there are some who are worse off than us and just as poor.  In Baltimore, West Virginia, Virginia, Tennesse, etc you will see white like you've never seen it before.  I don't say this because I'm prejudice but because every culture has there secrets, and sometimes we think that it is only in the African American Community, no it's not so.  Our secrets may have the spot light but we are not the only culture with them.

So please remember if you ever find yourself on the bus, that it's not just you it's everyone on the bus trying to make it and all cultures... Next Stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment